Building Excellence Program
Dr. Solomon Levin Memorial Award
2016 APPLICATIONS IS CLOSED
- Applications will be accepted until 25 Aug 2016.
About the Award
The Dr. Solomon Levin Memorial Award Program was established in 2007 by the Alberta Cancer Foundation in partnership with the Department of Symptom Control and Palliative Care at the Cross Cancer Institute in memory of Dr. Solomon Levin. The initial fund was created through the generosity of Dianne and Irving Kipnes in support of the award, as well as additional funds received in memory of Dr. Levin. This fund is now managed as an endowment fund by the Alberta Cancer Foundation.
The Dr. Solomon Levin Memorial Award is designed to promote knowledge and skills in Palliative Care for individuals employed within Alberta Health Services (AHS) whose role requires a purposeful focus on cancer care. It provides an exciting way for these individuals to develop their ability to provide comprehensive, competent and compassionate patient care.
Recipients of the Dr. Solomon Levin Memorial Award are eligible for financial assistance up to a maximum of $5,000 and will be chosen by a selection committee made up of representatives from a number of patient care disciplines. The funds are to be used to support professional growth and education for individuals employed within AHS whose role requires a purposeful focus on cancer care through the attendance of educational opportunities related to palliative care.
The Alberta Cancer Foundation Building Excellence Program is supported by an endowment fund established by the Foundation to provide a series of educational grants, bursaries and awards for cancer research and healthcare staff. The Alberta Cancer Foundation will continue to accept donations in support of this and other awards and bursaries.
Previous Award Recipients are:
- Mr. Christopher Ralph - Pharmacy/Palliative Care - 21st International Congress on Palliative Care
- Mrs. Shela Ramji- Radiation Oncology - Victoria Hospice: Palliative Care Medical Intensive Course
- Dr. Alysa Fairchild, Cross Cancer Institute - Site Visit - University of Waterloo & Rapid Response Radiotherapy Program
- Lisa Bailey, Oncology/Palliative Care at Red Deer Regional Hospital - to attend Psychosocial Care of the Dying and Bereaved course
- Jenna Haugrud, Outpatient Clinics at TBCC – to attend Canadian Hospice Palliative Care Conference
- Bronwen LeGuerrier, Radiation Therapist (CCI) - Specialty Palliative Radiation oncology Clinic site visit/training session
- Susan Horseman, Nurse Practioner, Radiation Oncology - site visit/training sessions to Odette Cancer Centre and Princess Margaret Hospital re: Rapid Response Clinics
- Sonya Lowe, Department of Symptom Control & Palliative Care (CCI) - to attend CHEST conference
- Brita Danielson, Department of Radiation Oncology (CCI) - to attend Congress of the European Association of Palliative Care
- Amy Driga, Department of Rehabilitation (CCI) - to attend Pressure Ulcer Management Workshop
- Shane Sinclair, Department of Spiritual Care Services (TBCC) - to support Post-Doctoral Fellowship at U of Manitoba
Please reference the Terms and Conditions for Program Investments documents for complete terms and conditions for all Alberta Cancer Foundation investments